What is Abarth GAP Insurance?

Stolen vehicles or those written-off often need the owner to make a ‘total loss’ insurance claim, which is a standard car insurance policy and will not necessarily cover the full cost of your car at the price of purchase. Motor insurance simply pays you the car’s current market value, and because cars depreciate from the time of sale, this will not only mean you are unable to buy a like-for-like replacement but you could be out of pocket by a considerable amount. If you took out a finance agreement when you purchased your new car, it will also mean that the insurance is less than the amount owed on this agreement, leaving you with outstanding money to pay.

Combined GAP and RTI Insurance

Call Thames Abarth in Slough today on 01753 325061 (Slough) or 01892 256084 (Tunbridge Wells)

How long does a GAP Insurance Policy last?

Our GAP Insurance product has a fixed term of 36 months

What if the term of my finance agreement is longer than 36 months?

If you have bought our Financial Shortfall Insurance and have a finance agreement with a term between 37 & 60 months, we will give you additional cover free of charge to cover this period. This additional coverage will cover the difference between the market value of your vehicle at the time of loss and the outstanding balance on your finance agreement.

What does Market Value mean?

Market Value is a settlement amount we will expect your motor insurer to offer you in the event of a total loss. The market value will generally be determined using trade valuation publications such as Glass’s Guide. It is a condition of our GAP Insurance policy that you do not accept your motor insurer’s settlement before speaking to our claims team as this ensures an agreement on valuation can be reached. We will seek your permission to negotiate with your motor insurer on your behalf if we believe their offer to be below the vehicle’s true market value. Dealer fitted accessories, any arrears or outstanding finance carried over from a previous loan will be excluded from any claim settlement.

Is the excess on my Motor Insurance Policy covered?

In the event of a claim, your motor insurance excess (up to £250) will be included in your settlement. If your motor insurer’s settlement means there is no shortfall to claim, you can still claim your motor insurance excess up to £250.

What level of Motor Insurance do I need to be eligible to purchase GAP insurance?

It is a requirement of the GAP Insurance Policy that you have fully comprehensive motor insurance.

Can I transfer my policy if my motor insurer provides me with a new vehicle?

Should you receive a replacement vehicle following a total loss, you can transfer the balance of your policy to your new vehicle and also claim your motor insurance excess up to a maximum of £250.

If my vehicle is involved in an accident and I am not the driver, can I make a claim under my GAP Insurance?

Yes, provided the person driving the car at the time is covered under your comprehensive motor insurance policy.

Will I get a refund if I cancel my policy?

If you cancel your policy within the first 14 days you can cancel your policy and receive a full refund, providing no claim has been made. After this period your policy can be cancelled and a refund awarded on a pro-rata basis providing no claim has been made. An administration fee of £48 will be deducted from your pro-rata refund. For example, if your policy costs £449 and you cancel after 18 months you will receive half your premium back less £48. In this example you will receive a refund of £176.50.

If you cancel your policy during the additional free cover period, i.e. in months 37 to 60, no refund will be due.

In the event of a claim how is payment made?

If your claim is approved, we will make the payment direct to your bank account or to your finance company where applicable. All claims are subject to fraud screening. Should we believe your claim to be fraudulent or if you have failed to tell us something important during the application process we may reject your claim, even if your vehicle has been declared a total loss by your motor insurer.

How do I apply for GAP Insurance?

Complete the contact form below to enquire with Thames Motor Group and one of our sales advisors will answer any other questions you may have and can register your policy for you. Your policy documents will then be sent to you in the post.

Call Thames Abarth in Slough today on 01753 325061 (Slough) or 01892 256084 (Tunbridge Wells)